[netCDF #VMQ-421954]: netcdf4 build problem

> Hi.
>
> I'm trying to build the netcdf4 package, version 4.0-snapshot2008042215
> My system runs linux kernel 2.6.18-53.1.14.el5  #1 SMP x86_64
> I use ifort (9.1 20070320) and gcc (4.1.2 20070626)
> My environment variables were set using all combinations of those from
> your website that I could find, including ones that have worked for
> 3.6.0, 3.6.1 and 3.6.2.
>
> I'm attaching a tgz file with 4 log files.
> log.output is the relevant environment variables and output to the
> screen of ./configure, make, and make test
> log.config is the output of ./configure
> log.make is the output of make
> and log.test is the output of make test
>
> I haven't seen this error before, and have tried several options.  Any
> suggestions that you can offer would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Chris

Howdy Chris!

Well, there are two things going on.

Firstly, you need to specify two more configure options if you want netcdf-4:
--enable-netcdf-4 --with-hdf5=/somewhere.

You must have zlib installed, then you must install HDF5 using the --with-zlib
option, then you must supply the location of the HDF5 libraries to the netcdf-4
configure using the --with-hdf5= option. For detailed instructions see:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/netcdf-4/newdocs/netcdf-install/Quick-Instructions.html

You must have the correct version of HDF5 installed. Get it here:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/builds/snapshot/netcdf-4/

(You should also get the latest netcdf-4 snapshot, because I have been
improving portability all week now. Unfortunately, my ifort machine is a bit
messed up at the moment and I am waiting for my trusty system admins to sort it
out.)

Meanwhile, your build, which did not include netcdf-4, did find an error in the
netcdf-3 build. This is surprising.

Did you cut some of the text out of the test output? I wonder if you could run
make check in the nctest and nc_test subdirectories, and send me the output.

Also can you figure out if there is anything funny about the diff program
available to the build? You tests are failing on a "diff -w" command to compare
two files to see if they are the same. For example, you should have a tile
called test1.cdl, and another called test2.cdl. The files should be identical -
are they?

If not, please send them both to me.

Thanks!

Ed