[netCDF #GJL-921650]: nctest, tst_failure

> I am very new to using netCDF, but I think the software is working, despite
having failed a couple of your build tests.  I have it installed, shared
libraries are working.  I should have mentioned this in the initial e-mail, but
this is netCDF-3.6.2.

> I have compiled my own test program in C++, which simply creates an NcFile
object, and passes the location of the file to be opened in the constructor.  I
already have some .nc files to use as input.  Then I check NcFile::is_valid(),
and I get an affirmative result, and the program ends.

> I am still just starting to learn about the file format and how to use it,
but it seems to be working for now.  I will let you know if there are any other
issues.  If you have any questions or need me to check any other values for
your information, I'll be happy to do so.

> Thanks,
> Alan Gifford

Yes, if it gets to the compile of ncdump, then it has already passed the C++
API.

What you can also do is go into the ncgen directory and do a make all, then go
back to the root directory and do a make check.

The problem you are seeing is because ncgen was never built on your system.
ncgen is supposed to be built before ncdump, and so the testing of ncdump
relies on ncgen being available. In your case, it isn't, because when you hit
the fortran error, you charged ahead and built the C++ API anyway, instead of
backing up and reruning the configure to disable fortran, and therefore build
and test correctly.

I admire your boldness. After all, that's how software problems get solved
sometimes! ;-)

But in this case, I strongly advise you to rebuild netCDF, and test it, without
the fortran APIs, which you don't want anyway.

Do a make distclean, and then a configure like last time, but with
--disable-f77 (this will also turn off the F90 API).

Then do a make check and you will *know* that netCDF is working on your
machine.

Thanks!

Ed

Ticket ID: GJL-921650