[netCDF #RND-134504]: Support for fortran compiler flags in netcdf

> > Dear Sir,
> >
> > I'm writing to this email address because it was given in your
> > website.  However, I don't know whether writing to this address is
> > correct, so I apologise for any inconvenience.
> >
> > My report is about building netcdf in 64bit mode with a couple of
> > flags.  This seems to be troublesome, a lot of environment variables
> > must be set before launching configure, not all of them being obvious:
> >
> > For Fortran, there're F90FLAGS, FFLAGS, FCFLAGS, and FCFLAGS_f90 Some
> > of them are recognised by configure, but are not passed to to the final
> > Makefile. It seems that F90FLAGS/FFLAGS is ignored, still a message is
> > printed out by configure that confirms the detection of these
> > variables.
> >
> > I think that this is very confusing.  On Solaris, it might be helpful
> > to tell the user to pass -fast to the compiler before any other 64bit
> > options like -xarch=v9.  Otherwise (at least with studio11) the
> > compiler will still generate 32 bit code which leads to interesting
> > error messages during the compilation.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Burkhard Neinhues
> >
> > --
> > Dr. Burkhard Neinhues
> > Aerodynamics Domain, Building 65A
> > Tools and Simulations, EGAMG
> > AIRBUS Deutschland GmbH
> > D-28183 Bremen, Germany
> >
> > Phone: +49 421 538 7421
> > FAX:   +49 421 538 871 7421
> > mailto:address@hidden
> >

> > This e-mail is intended only for the above addressee. It may contain
> > privileged information.  If you are not the addressee you must not
> > copy, distribute, disclose or use any of the information in it.  If you
> > have received it in error please delete it and immediately notify the
> > sender.
> >
> > Security Notice: all e-mail, sent to or from this address, may be
> > accessed by someone other than the recipient, for system management and
> > security reasons. This access is controlled under Regulation of
> > security reasons.  This access is controlled under Regulation of
> > Investigatory Powers Act 2000, Lawful Business Practises.
> >

> Thanks for pointing this out. I will look into this and get back to you...
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ed

Dr. Neinhues:

I believe I have sorted out the problems in the netCDF configure relating to
fortran flags.

The only flags that should matter now are FFLAGS (for F77 flags) and FCFLAGS
(for F90 flags).

The 64-bit build capability has been taken out of configure. It was too much
for use to be able to support.

If you want to try our latest version and see if it works better for you, get
the snapshot distribution:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/builds/snapshot/

Thanks!

Ed