[netCDF #SOP-272405]: support NetCDF

Hi Irina,

I believe the problem you saw is caused by having "/usr/ucb" early in your
PATH, before /opt/SUNWspro/bin and /usr/bin.  Many of the commands in /ucb/bin
are old, from when Sun's operating system was based on Berkeley Unix.

I was able to duplicate your problem exactly when I set my PATH to
  /usr/ccs/bin:/usr/ucb:/opt/SUNWspro/bin:/bin:/usr/bin
on a Sparc SunOS 5.8 platform, but the problem went away when I changed the
PATH to
  /usr/ccs/bin:/opt/SUNWspro/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb
instead, ran "make distclean", then "configure" and "make check" again.  I'm
not exactly sure which old command from /usr/ucb was causing the problem, but
it must have been one that is also in one of the other directories in the above
PATH.  I suspect "test", since that command is used in the ncdump test script.

In general, I recommend against having /usr/ucb in your PATH ahead of /usr/bin.
 /usr/ucb/ps has been reported to have a security problem and produces
incompatible output to /usr/bin/ps.

--Russ

Ticket ID: SOP-272405
Department: Support netCDF