[netCDF #FDG-185394]: install problems with netcdf 3.6.2 on RHEL4 with f95 (nag)

Faye,

I finally verified the problem you reported, that the arguments "-Wl,-rpath
-Wl,/tmp/netcdf/install/usr/lib" that are getting stuck on the end of your NAG
f90 compiler invocation are also getting stuck on the end of our GNU Fortran
compiler invocation on a similar platform.  The "-rpath" seems to be understood
by the GNU Fortran compiler when it is used to link Fortran objects to
libraries, but not by the NAG compiler.  The GNU compiler needs -fPIC to
generate position independent code for a shared library, but the NAG compiler
doesn't understand "-fPIC", so unless it generates position independent code by
default, we need to find a way to get it the right option to generate code for
shared libraries.  That's about as far as I can take this problem, but thanks
for providing all the information we needed to verify the bug. We may be asking
you some questions about NAG compiler options, since we don't have a NAG
compiler that we can test with here.

--Russ

Ticket ID: FDG-185394
Department: Support netCDF