[netCDF #ACN-385459]: NetCDF Format

> Hello,
>
> I'm a grad student in the Civil Engineering Department at UT Austin, and I'm
> trying to use NetCDF as a common data format for my own hydrodynamic modeling
> results and my input data (taken from NAM).  I've been trying to wade through
> the sea of MATLAB toolboxes and NetCDF software available directly from
> Unidata, and I'm very confused.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> I have tried installing several packages, but I'm not sure that I have been
> successful.  These include the mexcdf, ncx, and snc toolboxes in MATLAB.  I've
> also downloaded the netcdf.dll, and the netcdf 3.6.1 package from the unidata
> web site (although I haven't installed it yet).  I don't know what of these
> packages and toolboxes I need, but the following are my goals:
>
> to extract data from the netcdf format using both MATLAB and Fortran 90.
>
> to write new netcdf files through both MATLAB and Fortran 90.
>
> If someone could enlighten me and tell me what I need to do to accomplish
> these
> ends, I would be very grateful!
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> Paula Kulis

Howdy Paula!

I'm afraid I don't know much about how MATLAB works with netCDF.

As for Fortran, what compiler will you be using?

If you are using a Unix environment under Windows (like Cygwin or MinGW/MSYS),
then you can just download the source distribution of netCDF and build it just
as on any other Unix platform.

If you do that, you get to use the Fortran 90 netCDF API.

If you are using a Windows Fortran compiler, then you need to get the latest
DLL:
ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/win32/win32_pgi_dll.tar.gz

Then you put the .DLL and the .INC file in your project directory, include the
.INC file, and call the netCDF functions. Only the Fortran 77 API is available
in the DLL, however.

If you need an introduction to what netCDF is all about, try the new tutorial:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs_beta/netcdf-tutorial.html

In addition, there are many other documents available on the netCDF web site.

Please let me know if you need more help with this, and good luck!

Ed

Ticket ID: ACN-385459
Department: Support netCDF