[netCDF #SQZ-374232]: Building an ncdump for the login node of bluegene

> Hi, I have been working with netcdf and parallel netcdf on bluegene
> at SDSC.
> I have no problems building a version to link with WRF and run on the
> ppc32 compute nodes.
>
> When I need to inspect a data file, I can't run the ncdump that is
> built with the cross-compiling configure without running it on a
> compute node. It works, but I end up waiting in the queue (and being
> charged for using 64 CPUs).
>
> I'd like to build an ncdump that works on the login node, and I was
> wondering if anyone had done that on a bluegene yet. The local staff
> at SDSC haven't.
>
> Here's how I did it:
>
> After some debugging, I can configure and compile with the following
> commands.
> I added -DIBMR2Fortran because apparently that's not getting set on
> bluegene (probably because it's linux and not AIX), and without it
> compiling in the fortran/ subdir barfs.
>
> setenv CC "xlc"
> setenv CFLAGS "-O3 -qstrict -DIBMR2Fortran"
> setenv CPP "xlc -E"
> setenv CXX "xlC"
> setenv CXXFLAGS "-O3 -qstrict"
> setenv CXXCPP "xlC -E"
> setenv F77 "xlf"
> setenv FC "xlf"
> setenv F90 "xlf90"
> setenv FFLAGS "-O3 -qstrict"
>
> ./configure --disable-flag-setting
>
> I get a clean build, and ncdump works for me, but I wanted to note
> that running 'ncdump' without any arguments segfaults. Until I ran
> make check, this was the source of a lot of frustration. I thought it
> still wasn't working.
>
> Anyway, now it works, so I'm happy and wanted to share the info.
>
> Thanks,
> -mike

Thanks!

This was 3.6.1, correct?

I have placed that info on the netCDF web site, here:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/known_problems.html#aix_login_node_3_6_1

The ncdump segfault problem is fixed in version 3.6.2, you can try the latest
snapshot and see if it works for you:
ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/snapshot/netcdf-daily.tar.gz

Thanks again!

Ed

Ticket ID: SQZ-374232
Department: Support netCDF