Re: Funny problem with virtual method

Markus,

I forgot to reply to your last paragraph:

On 11/27/06, Markus Svilans <address@hidden> wrote:
Speaking of working on the C++ interface. I have begun modifying the
existing C++ interface for my own purposes, to use boost::shared_ptr,
std::vector and std::string with the aim of better memory safety, and
some other ideas. I'd be happy to send you my work if you are
interested, after I've had a chance to polish it up a little bit. I
have a personal interest in having a good C++ interface, since I would
be using it myself.

We are very interested in improvements to the C++ interface.  I've supervised work with a  computer science student at the University of Texas at Austin who has implemented parts of the netCDF-4 interface for C++ as a Senior Honors Project, some of which may be useful in improving the netCDF-3 C++ interface also.  In particular, she has added a namespace, exceptions, use of templates, and developed iterators for netCDF access.  At some point we will finish adding support for netCDF_4 user-defined types and release it as a C++ interface for netCDF-4, though that may be a year away.  Real strings are part of the netCDF-4 data model, so use of std::string for those would be desirable.

We depend on interested users like you to help develop and test other language interfaces for netCDF, since we now focus most of our efforts on the C, Fortran-95, and Java interfaces.   Thanks for offering to share your work!

--Russ