[netCDF #NYE-925598]: Fortran access to NetCDF under Windows

> Dear Support
>
> I am trying to compile and run a fortran program in Windows XP that accesses
> a number of NetCDF files.  I am using Digital Visual Fortran (Microsoft
> visual studio) and I get error messages when I try to build a fortran program
> that calls NetCDF files.
>
> atmemcd.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _NF_INQ_VARID@16
> atmemcd.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _NF_GET_VAR_REAL@12
> atmemcd.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _NF_CLOSE@4
>
> I have downloaded the netcdf-3.5.1-win32dll---for fortran use.zip and
> extracted netcdf.dll, .exp, and .h into the windows/system32 directory.
> I have also used the netcdf.lib and netcdf.inc from the netcdf-3.5.0.zip
> release and placed these into the include and library directories of the
> compiler, as well as in the system32 directory for good measure.
>
> I'm afraid that I am not very experienced in programming, and I am trying to
> compile someone else's program here.    I have tried adding all of the
> previously listed files to the project, and this removed the errors that I
> was getting regarding the availability of netcdf.inc [which is listed
> explicitly in the program at the beginning (include netcdf.inc)]  However I
> am still unable to build and run the main program.
>
> Is there a step that I have missed out?  Thank you very much for any advice
> that you can give me.
>
> Warren Hamilton

Howdy!

Sorry about your windows problems. Another user reports that this is caused by
a recent change in MS Visual Studio.

Stand by for the next netcdf 3.6.2 beta release, which (I hope) will compile
under MSYS and produce DLLs without involving visual studio.

Thanks,

Ed

Ticket ID: NYE-925598
Department: Support netCDF