[netCDF #JGY-850875]: netCDF General - compiling netCDF on Sun OS for NAG f95 compiler

> Institution: Stanford University
> Package Version: 3.6.1
> Operating System: Sun  OS
> Hardware Information: sparc-sun-solaris5.8
> Inquiry: I am trying to complile netCDF on a Sun OS wih a NAG f95 compiler. I
> the configure.log file is attached. I get the following error message when I
> run make check:
>
> gcc -c -O3   -DNDEBUG -DNAGf95Fortran fortlib.c
> f95 -o nf_test -g -mismatch -w=unused -DNAGf90Fortran -ieee=full   test_get.o
> test_put.o nf_error.o nf_test.o test_read.o test_write.o util.o fortlib.o
> ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a  -lm
> symbol                             in file
> __divdi3                            ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(nc.o)
> __moddi3                            ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(ncio.o)
> __muldi3                            ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(nc.o)
> ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to nf_test
> make[2]: *** [nf_test] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/afs/ir.stanford.edu/users/n/i/nicolej/netCDF/src/nf_test'
> make[1]: *** [subdir_target] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/afs/ir.stanford.edu/users/n/i/nicolej/netCDF/src'
> make: *** [nf_test/test] Error 2
>
> I have tried altering the flag environment settings as suggested for other
> operating systems to no avail. Do you have any suggestions?
>
> I have also tried earlier and beta versions of netCDF with not exactly the
> same problem but similar.
>
> Thanks,
> Nicole.

Howdy Nicole!

Apparently something recently changed in Lahey fortran to cause this problem.
This thread may help explain it:

http://www.laheyforum.com/showthread.php?t=10728

Certainly netcdf does not use the __divdi3 function directly. Presumably there
is some mapping to 32 bit vs. 64 bit versions of these functions, and with
Lahey's recent changes, something is going wring.

Unfortunately I do not have access to that version of the Lahey compiler. If
you can use a previous version, that might be a good idea.

Also you can try netCDF 3.6.2 (don't try the beta now, wait at least until
beta4 comes out). It uses a different build system that may work better with
Lahey.

I suspect the ultimate answer is to find out what library file on lahey
contains this function and explicitly link to it...

Ed Hartnett

Ticket ID: JGY-850875
Department: Support netCDF