[netCDF #MZT-798445]: Wind Data Set

Hi Camille,

re:
> In the frame of my studies, (MSc Energy - Heriot Watt University,
> Edinburgh - Scotland), I need the daily numerical data of U wind
> and V wind (m/s) for the following requirements (location and period):
>
> Height: 48m
>
> Location: 54� 42' 9,3''North and 7� 10'  7,4''
> Period: Years 1983 to 1989
>
> I downloaded the data sets from the Reanalysis Project Web site (netCDF)
> but I can only display a graph but can not work out to extract the numerical
> data in order to use them later on an eXcel sheet.

It sounds like you did not receive our reply to your previous email in
which you were advised you of three possibilities:

- look through the various packages that handle netCDF data listed on
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/software.html to see if
  one of them does what you need/want

- send a note to the address@hidden email list asking community
  members if they know of a package that can do what you want (and advising
  you that you have to subscribe to this email list before you can post to
  it)

- use the 'ncdump' utility to list out values from your netCDF file(s) in
  ASCII format, and then figure out a way to transform the ASCII values
  into a format that you can import into eXcel

> Would you be able to provide me such data

Unidata maintains no data archives, so we can not help you directly.  It
sounds like you do have the data, and the challange is importing it into
eXcel.

> or how can I get access to such data set

If you do not already have the data you need, you might be able to get it
from a Unidata participant or from the National Climatic Data Center.
In order to ask Unidata participants if they have the data, you should
send a email to the address@hidden list.  Again, in order to
post emails to any of the lists that we maintain, you must first subscribe
to that lists.  Subscribing to any Unidata-maintained email list can be done
online at:

If you decide to subscribe to post your message, please wait until
you have received notification of being added to the list before your
post.

The URL for the National Climatic Data Center website is:

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov

Their site indicates that they have the "World's Largest Archive of Climate
Data".

> or how can I extract them?

One of the packages listed on:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/software.html

might provide the capability you are looking for; we can not say for sure.
The packages listed on this page were included based on requests by the
package author(s) to be included in the listing.

'ncdump' can be used to list out the data from a netCDF in ASCII format.
You would have to figure out how to reformat to import into an eXcel
spreadsheet.

> Thank you for your help!

Please let us know that you received this reply.  Your questions make it
seem like you did not receive our previous reply, and if that is the case
we want to find out why.  Thanks in advance!

> Regards,
> Camille Bastide

Ticket ID: MZT-798445
Department: Support netCDF