[netCDF #CZF-138501]: NetCDF FILL_CHAR and FILL_BYTE switched?

Howdy Joe!

This is a confusing topic for me, because there are some special rules for
CHARs and BYTEs in netCDF.

As far as NC_BYTE goes, note this comment from the Users' Guide:

"It is possible to interpret byte data as either signed (-128 to 127) or
unsigned (0 to 255). However, when reading byte data to be converted into other
numeric types, it is interpreted as signed."

As for NC_CHAR, it is given a fill value of 0 because, when interpreted as a
char in C, this will yeild a string of size zero.

Let me know if this didn't answer your questions!

Thanks,

Ed

Ticket ID: CZF-138501
Department: Support netCDF