Re: Question about your vb.net wrapper

Bastian Graupner <address@hidden> writes:

> Dear Ed Hartnett,
>
> I want to use netCDF or HDF within visual basic .net. Does your .net
> wrapper (published in 2004) support the new file format HDF5 from
> netCDF version 3.6.1?
> If not, is there a possibility to at this functionality or do you have
> a new version?
>

> Thank you very much for your help.
>
> Bastian Graupner

Howdy Bastian!

I hope you are having some fine Spring weather in Dresden, as we are
here in sunny Boulder!

NetCDF 3.x does not work with HDF5.

However you can use the VB wrapper to work with netCDF on windows,
without HDF5. Use the 3.6.1 dll from the netCDF ftp site for that:

ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu//pub/netcdf/contrib/win32/netcdf-3.6.1-win32.zip

The ability to work with HDF5 comes with netCDF-4.0, which should be
out in beta this Summer (for Unix platforms, not Windows).

For this you would also need a HDF5 DLL. I see from google that such a
beast does exist. However I have not yet produced a netCDF-4 DLL, and
there is some work to be done there. I don't know when that will
happen.

Thanks, and keep on netCDFing!

Ed

--