Re: NetCDF and ESRI

Hi Chuck,

> Say, I have a student working on ESRI stuff and would like
> her to try out the netCDF reading. Did you tell me that
> this capability is now in ArcMap 9.2? Any special instructions?
> I would like to converge on a standard way of providing 3D/4D
> data using netCDF for GEON, but want to make sure we have files
> that are compatible with the new Arc capability.

ESRI told us they were putting the netCDF access into ArcGIS 9.2, but
I didn't think that was released yet.  If your student has a
beta-release copy, I think it should be in that as well.  In order to
get the location of the data right, I believe the netCDF data you read
must use CF or COARDS conventions, preferably CF.  The way that's done
is described here:

  http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cms/eaton/cf-metadata/CF-1.0.html#ctype

For any more than that, I'll have to refer you to the ESRI
documentation or support system.  I'm also Cc:ing Jeff Weber, as he is
our GIS expert and may know more about the ESRI 9.2 release.

--Russ