Re: 20051028:Is there a .nc <-> .xml tool available?

Russ Rew wrote:

Hi Dave,

Ed wrote:
Is there a package like the ncxdump/ncxgen from
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/Contrib.html that works with
ncml?
Sorry, I don't believe there is such a tool. I will copy this response
to Russ Rew and John Caron. If there is such a tool, one of them will
know about it.

However, in versio 4.0 of netCDF (due to release in beta early next
year), we plan for ncgen/ncdump to be able to handle ncml.

The latest Java netCDF interface does what you want.  A previous reply
I have from John Caron said:

ucar.nc2.dataset.FileWriter will take any NcML dataset or (dods dataset) and write a local netcdf file.

if you want to go the other way, ucar.nc2.NetcdfFile.writeNcML() will write NcML from any netcdf file.
Note that opening as a ucar.nc2.NetcdfDataset will add the coordinate info(if
you want).

i could add a main routine to NcMLwriter class that would be like ncdump -ncml
if that's helpful

 the netCDF toolsUI has a UI to both:

   http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf-java/v2.2/webstart/index.html

 so does the THREDDS Data Server:

 http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/tech/webstart/Viewer/index.html

this link is dead, where did you see it? i will remove. use the other one