Re: Alternate direction for netCDF-4

Hi Randy,

> I've been a long-time user of NetCDF since '94, I think...
>
> I know you guys are planning to implement NetCDF-4 as a layer on top of
> HDF5...  But I figure you might still be interested in new ideas...
>
> Hans Reiser (www.namesys.com) has been working on a new filesystem for
> Linux that has some interesting semantics.  Some of the things he's
> doing look like they map directly onto common NetCDF operations,
> especially the ones about attribute lookups.
>
> Take a look at this: http://www.namesys.com/v4/v4.html

Yes, thanks, I had actually looked at this and bookmarked it.  Both
the ideas and presentation are very interesting.  Of course we
couldn't layer anything directly on Reiser4, because it has to be
supported as a filesystem in the kernel framework and so is currently
only available for Linux, not Solaris or AIX or MacOS-X or Windows.
But I like the idea of having a pathname refer to either a file or a
directory containing files that represent attributes for the "parent"
file.

Anyway, thanks for the pointer and for your past support.  I just
added your name to

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/credits.html

--Russ