Re: netCDF General - Variable not found

"David Rodgers" <address@hidden> writes:

> Institution: Queensland Department of Primary Industries
> Package Version: 4.0a
> Operating System: Windows XP
> Hardware Information: Dell latitude D610
> Inquiry: Hi
>
> I have been experimenting with using netCDF4 (because we need multiple
> unlimited dimensions) in conjunction with a relational database to store
> molecular marker data.
> The code in the attached files creates the h5 file, and returns status 0 when
> creating dimensions and variables but continualy returns status -49 "Variable
> not found" when trying to  add a data item using:
> nc_put_var1_float() everything is happy until line 44 in nc4hdf.c:
> if ((*dataset = H5Dopen(nc->nc4_info->grpid, var->name)) < 0).
> nc_inq_varname returns the correct variable name.
>
> It seems to be confused about ncid's or variable id's.
>
> A colleague who uses netCDF 3 (c++) has had the same problem trying to use
> netCDF4.
>
> I would appreciate any help you can provide to get  this working.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave

Howdy Dave!

I hope you understand that netcdf-4 is very experimental. In
particular, don't expect any files to be readable to future versions
of netcdf-4. The alpha releases show how the API works, but use
special constructs in the output file to compensate for missing HDF5
features. These features are being added to HDF5, culminating in the
1.8.0 release (due out in January).

So our netcdf-4 HDF5 files will not be stable until after that. When
we release the beta, we expect the format will be stable. When using
alphas, be aware that you should not create data archives.

The alpha release you're using has known bugs with unlimited
dimensions. The next alpha release fixes these problems, and adds a
lot of testing of unlimited dimensions. I expect the next alpha
release will come out next week.

So try again next week, and let me know if it still doesn't work.

Ed
--
Ed Hartnett  -- address@hidden