Re: 20050824: NetCDF4

Unidata Support <address@hidden> writes:

> [...]

This is not yet implemented, but I expect it will be the same as any
other HDF5 file.

> 2. Have the current beta version been tested in a 'production
> environment' or has thre been mainly 'demonstration runs'?

NetCDF-4 has not yet been released in beta, and can't be until HDF5
version 1.8.0 is released. This is expected to be at the beginning of
next year.

The current alpha release is unstable.

> 3. Could you guesstimate on when a reasonably stable version for
> production runs may be released?

I think the beta will be stable, for a beta (but should not be used in
production systems). The first release of netCDF-4 probably won't come
before 2Q 2006.

> 4. Are there already now any analysis/visualization tools available
> that support NetCDF4 (or declared that they will)?

I suspect that most tools which currently support netCDF will support
netCDF-4. The NCO tools certainly will.

Thanks for your interest!

Ed

--