Re: Mac OS 10.4 with Absoft Pro 9.2: make test failure

Hi Mike,

You wrote:

> I've previously build NetCDF libraries on my Mac with IBM XL Fortran
> extensions.  However, I now need to use Absoft Fortran Pro 9.2 in
> order to compile 64-bit code.  I've run into the problem Russ Rew
> described in January 2005 at the following website:
>
> http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/support/help/MailArchives/netcdf/msg02849.html
>
> As Russ mentions, "./configure" and "make" work, but "make test"
> fails because the library has an extra "_" after the NetCDF C
> functions, and hence they are not found.  I've not been able to find
> any solutions to this issue in the discussion groups.  I have this
> problem with v3.6.0, v3.6.0-p1, and v3.6.1-beta3.  I've tried lots of
> different flag options.  These are the ones I've got right now:
>
> export CPPFLAGS="-DAbsoftProFortran"
> export CFLAGS=''
> export FLIBS="-lU77"
> export FC="/Applications/Absoft/bin/f90"
> export FFLAGS="-w -YEXT_NAMES=LCS -YEXT_SFX=_ -YCFRL=1"
> export F90="/Applications/Absoft/bin/f90"
> export F90FLAGS="-w -YEXT_NAMES=LCS -YEXT_SFX=_ -YCFRL=1"
>
> Does anyone know of a solution to this issue?

On our web page "Other Builds of the netCDF Package", there is a brief
note on a working solution on MacOS X with the Absoft compiler:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/docs/other-builds.html#absoft

using the latest 3.6.1 beta release from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-beta.tar.Z

I believe that causes everything to be built for use of 64-bit file
offsets.

--Russ