Re: 20050621: netCDF General - Unable to download to ftp.unidata.ucar.edu

>To: address@hidden
>From: "Hans-Joachim Ehlers" <address@hidden>
>Subject: netCDF General - Unable to download to ftp.unidata.ucar.edu

> Inquiry: I am trying to connect to ftp.unidata.ucar.edu.
> But it seems that the FTP server is not available nor a ftp login is possible.
>
> Error message is: ( On Linux )
> 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection.
>
> For trouble shooting i tried to connect to a different site without
> any problems ( Command line ftp or browser )
>
> Could you provide help or even an mirror adress ?

Please make sure you are using passive FTP mode.  An explanation of
the difference between passive and active FTP mode is here:

  http://www.slacksite.com/other/ftp.html#active

Our FTP server at ftp.unidata.ucar.edu is up and running with 9
downloads from external sites in the last 6 minutes.

Here is a mirror site in Japan:

  ftp://www.gfd-dennou.org/arch/netcdf/unidata-mirror/

--Russ