Re: 20050620: patch file of netcdf-3.6.0-p1 for NEC SX series

>To: address@hidden
>From: Takashi Kagimoto <address@hidden>
>Subject: patch file of netcdf-3.6.0-p1 for NEC SX series

Hi Takashi,

>   I attached a patch file in order to make it feasible
> to easily build netCDF library on NEC SX architectures
> (SX-4,5,6,7 or 8) including the Earth Simulator (ES).
> What I changed from the original is as follows,
>
>   (1) config.guess supports SX-7, -8 and ES architecture
>     (but I checked only on SX-5, -8 and ES),
>   (2) LINK.F, LINK.f and LINK.F90 macros in macros.make
>     is determined in configure script so that an appropriate
>     link process is done if c++ compiler is used for
>     compilation of C language source code on NEC
>     architectures (as you may know, c++ must be used for
>     linking object and library in that case),
>   (3) typeSizes.f90 and netcdf_overloads.f90 have cpp
>     switches to plug-off unnecessary parts on NEC machines,
>   (4) test carried out in ncgen directory allows a trivial
>     failure associated with precision of floating point
>     values
>
> Additionally I changed libsrc/ncx.m4 in such a way that
> type transformation routines are optimally vectorized
> on NEC SX architectures. Originally this modification is
> proposed by a person working in Max-Planck Institute.
> He has vectorized only put and get routines for float to
> double and double to float transformations. I applied the
> same modification to any variable types such as
>
>     int            int
>     long           long
>     float   <--->  float
>     double         double
>
> all of which are objects for the vectorization. This modification
> can be used if you build netcdf library on SX (if defined
> _SX macro), thus it does not affect installation of the
> netCDF library on other architectures at all.

Thanks very much for contributing this patch!

I made your patch and the information you provided for how to build
netCDF on NEC SX architectures available from our "Other Builds of the
netCDF Package" web page at

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/docs/other-builds.html

under

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/docs/other-builds.html#nec-sx-n

Please let me know if you want to make any changes to that
documentation entry.

And on behalf of the netCDF user community, thanks again for your
efforts!

--Russ