Re: 20050511: netcdf in double precision?

>To: address@hidden
>From: Christine Delire <address@hidden>

Hi Christine,

> I run a  model that uses netcdf as format for its restart files (files
> that are read by the model when restarted). For the restarts to be
> seemless, I need netcdf to be compiled in double precision.
> As I never had to do that my-self, I am not 100% sure of what that
> means. I am now trying to use my model on an IBM SP4 with the xlf
> compiler. How should I compile the netcdf library ? with the -q64 flag
> ?  -qrealsize=r8 ? both ?
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been tangled in this issue
> for a long time now.

You might want to check this support reply:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/getfile?file=/content/support/help/MailArchives/netcdf/msg01602.html

I'm not sure what you mean by "I need netcdf to be compiled in double
precision" either.

If your model is compiled with -qrealsize=r8 and -q64, your netCDF
library should be compiled the same way.  That is, if your model is
Fortran and uses "-qrealsize=r8" as an xlf compiler flag, then in
building the netCDF library you should include "-qrealsize=r8" in
your FFLAGS environment variable or even in your compiler environment
variable FC before invoking the "configure" script to build the
library.

--Russ