Re: 20050502: NetCDF support for the Intel Compilers

>To: address@hidden
>From: Gerardo Cisneros <address@hidden>
>Subject: NetCDF support for the Intel Compilers

Hi Gerardo,

> I downloaded NetCDF 3.6.0-p1 and noticed that the Intel C/C++
> and Fortran compilers are still not supported.  With many
> climate/weather sites now using SGI Altix systems (and therefore
> Intel compilers for the Itanium2 processor),  supporting these
> compilers would be a good idea.  I'm attaching a gzipped version
> of src/fortran/cfortran.h that recognizes the Intel compilers.
> I have built and tested NetCDF on an SGI Altix with the
> following settings using the ifort 9.0.015 and icc 9.0.016
> compilers.  The settings should also work with the 8.1.x
> compilers.
>
> Environment variables set before running './configure':
>     CC=icc
>     FC=ifort
>     CXX=icc
>
> Macros modified in src/macros.make:
>     CFLAGS          = -g -O2 -w
>     CXXFLAGS        = -g -O2
>     FFLAGS          = -g -O2 -mp -w
>     F90FLAGS        = -g -O2 -mp -w

We had documented the following way to build on SGI Altix:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/docs/other-builds.html#altix-360

that was contributed by Len Makin and that didn't require modifying
cfortran.h.  Since someone else maintains cfortran.h, it's difficult
for us to get changes added to it, but it looks like your solution has
advantages to Makin's because it doesn't require use of flags like
-DpgiFortran that refer to other compilers that happen to use the same
Fortran to C calling conventions.

I've just added your way of doing it to that file with a link to a
patch for cfortran.h, so users can choose either solution.

If you see any corrections or would like to supply the patch in a
different form, please let me know.  Thanks for the contribution!

--Russ