20050307: netCDF Fortran (77 + 90) - Fortran code

>From: "david sampson" <address@hidden>

Hi David,

>Institution: Virginia Tech
>Package Version: Digital Visual Fortran (now Compaq) 6.6
>Operating System: Windows XP
>Hardware Information: No problems
>Inquiry: I am new to this Unidata cocept.  I downloaded data (VMAP2 daily
>surface data from ORNL- i.e. sradTCLMxxD3i.nc) and a dll, but I was under the
>impression that I would be able to find some fortran code to read these data.
>Have I missed something?  Probably.

The netCDF is an API for reading/writing files.  Included in the distribution
is a generic routine 'ncdump' that can be used to list out the contents of
a netCDF, so you "get your feet wet" using it.  Beyond that, it is up to the
user to develop applications to do what they want with the package.

There are a number of packages that have been developed to do interesting
things with netCDF-stored data.  Please check the link:

Software for manipulating or displaying netCDF data
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/software.html

for a listing of packages that you can take advantage of.

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden  Tue Mar  8 12:18:19 2005

Hi Tom
Thanks for the mail.  I will continue to struggle along with this.  I
must admit, looking at the Unidata web site, the documentation and help,
and the source code itself makes me grateful for my code writing and
reminds me to make sure that my code is clear and intuitive.  I am VERY
grateful for the opportunity to "potentially" use the Unidata resources,
but I find your code and documentation sloppy and incoherent and not
very friendly.

Kindly,
da

David Arthur Sampson, Ph.D.