Re: help in netcdf installation

>To: address@hidden
>cc: address@hidden
>From: "jagabandhu panda" <address@hidden>
>Subject: help

Hi,

> I've got a pseries IBM server.It has AIX5.1 operating system. I
> discovered that to compile a program with .f90 or .3f90 or .3f
> extension the following commands are required.
>
> xlf90 -qsuffix=f=f90 file.f90, xlf90 -qsuffix=f=3f90 file.3f90, xlf
> -qsuffix=f=3f file.3f.
>
> But then i found in the net that it is a known problem in AIX
> operating system. But in which file these flags are to be included
> as they have been indicated for fortran compiler and fortran
> configuration with xlf, xlf90 and xlf95 compilers.
>
> could you please help me by saying in which files i should make
> these changes although i've made changes in macros.make file in
> netcdf-3.6.0-p1/src directory.this problem also persists with
> netcdf-3.6.0.

The way to indicate compiler options for building netCDF is in
environment variables, not by changing files.  See the discussion of
this in the netCDF Installation Guide:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/docs/netcdf-install/Specifying-the-Environment-for-Building.html

So, for example, you could run the configure script like this to set
the environment variables FFLAGS and F90FLAGS:

  env \
    FFLAGS="-qsuffix=f=3f" \
    F90FLAGS="-qsuffix=f=f90" \
    ./configure  --prefix=/path/to/installdir

I don't think the above value of FFLAGS is needed, but the F90FLAGS
probably is.  I just tried these environment variables on an AIX 5.1
system:

  env \
    CC=/usr/vac/bin/xlc \
    FC=/usr/bin/xlf \
    F90='' \
    CXX=/usr/vacpp/bin/xlC \
    ./configure

and it built, tested, and installed the C and Fortran-77 interface OK.
I'm having problems getting the options right for our xlf90 compiler
right now, so maybe someone else can help with that.

See also the AIX-specific notes in the Installation Guide:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/docs/netcdf-install/Platform-Specific-Notes.html

--Russ