Re: suggestions for formatting "station data" into NetCDF (fwd)

Mark,

> Thank you very much for your response to Dennis' question.  Our
> scientist (Greg) in charge of the NetCDF programming for this  took
> a look at metar.cdl and thinks this structure will suit our needs
> well.  By chance do you have access to a snipet of fortran code that
> produces this structure?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mark
>
>  http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/examples/metar.cdl

No, but one way you can get most of the boilerplate code needed is to
generate it with the ncgen tool, as follows:

  ncgen -f metar.cdl > metar.f

and metar.f will do approximately what you want.

I just tried this, and it seems to overflow something in ncgen and
cause an error, although the resulting 785 line metar.f has most of
the code you need.  I'll see if I can fix the bug this reveals.

You can get it to work if you first generate a canonicalized CDL file
that doesn't have all the station location data in it, like this:

  ncgen -o metarx.nc metar.cdl      # generate the netCDF file metarx.nc
  ncdump -c metarx.nc > metarx.cdl  # just coordinate variables in CDL
  ncgen -f metarx.cdl > metarx.f    # generate the fortran

and the resulting 1327 line Fortran program is complete.

--Russ