Re: 20041118: netCDF Fortran (77 + 90) - array size limitation

>To: address@hidden
>From: "Paquita Zuidema" <address@hidden>
>Subject: netCDF Fortran (77 + 90) - array size limitation

Hi Paquita,

> Institution: U of Colorado/CIRES
> Package Version: netcdf.3-5-1
> Operating System: mac os x 10.3.5
> Hardware Information: powerbook g4, 512 mb memory
> Inquiry: Hi -
>
> My array sizes appear to be too big for netcdf. Yet,
> they are only 81*9*10 in size, this doesn't make
> sense to me. Even ncdump gives me back the
> message "segmentation fault". I have 512 mb of
> static memory, when I do a "limit" on my mac, this
> is what I get back:
> cputime         unlimited
> filesize        unlimited
> datasize        6144 kbytes
> stacksize       8192 kbytes
> coredumpsize    0 kbytes
> memoryuse       unlimited
> descriptors     256
> memorylocked    unlimited
> maxproc         100
>
> I can read/write the file fine in IDL, and if I use a subset of the
> original variables (try "Component1_extinction"), everything is fine
> w/ ncdump, and with reading/writing within fortran 90 (absoft).
>
> What am I missing ????

We need more information to diagnose the problem.

When you get the error, are you using the C interface or the Fortran
90 interface?

Are you getting an error message from the netCDF library or an error
return from calling a netCDF function?  As far as I know, there is no
error code in the 3.5.1 version of the library for "variable too
large", so how are you determining that that is the problem?

What is the output of "ncdump -c" for your netCDF file?

Do you have a self-contained example program that would permit us to
reproduce the problem?

When we install netCDF 3.5.1 on a Mac OS X system and run the built in
tests with "make test", it seems to work fine and passes all the
tests.  Did you build it from source or get a binary release?  If you
built it from source, did you run "make test" as part of building and
installing it?

--Russ

address@hidden          http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/russ