20041022: Installation problems with netCDF 3.5.1

Leila,

> To: address@hidden
> From: Leila Zajac <address@hidden>
> Subject: Installation problems with netCDF 3.5.1

> I downloaded the latest version of netCDF (3.5.1) using the web
> interface (zipped tar file) and am trying to get it to install;
> however my attempts have not been as successful as I would like them
> to be.
>
> I am using xlf and set my environment variables in my .tcshrc as
> follows:
>
> setenv CC '/usr/bin/cc'
> setenv CPPFLAGS '-DIBMR2Fortran'
> setenv FC '/usr/bin/xlf'
> setenv F90 'xlf90'
> setenv F90FLAGS '-qsuffix=cpp=f90'
> setenv CFLAGS '-DNDEBUG -D_LARGE_FILES -O'
> setenv CXXFLAGS '-D_LARGE_FILES -O'
>
> I can configure netCDF just fine. When I type the make command, it
> seems to install properly. The problem arises when I type "make test".
> Then I get the following output at the very end of the make test run
> (it makes many of the directories successfully first then it outputs
> errors here)
>
> Returning to directory /sw1/src
>
> Not making `nf_test/test' because no FORTRAN compiler
> Not making `fortran/test' because no FORTRAN compiler

It appears that the configure script determined that the Fortran-77
compiler (xlf) doesn't work.

> Making `test' in directory /sw1/src/f90
>
> xlf90 -o netcdf_test -qsuffix=cpp=f90  netcdf_test.f90 netcdf.o
> typeSizes.o ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a
> ** netcdftest   === End of Compilation 1 ===
> 1501-510  Compilation successful for file netcdf_test.f90.
> /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
> _nf_put_varm_int
> _nf_put_vars_int
> _nf_put_att_real
> _nf_put_var1_int2
> _nf_get_varm_double
> _nf_get_att_int
> _nf_put_var1_int1

The Fortran-90 interface uses the Fortran-77 interface; therefore, the
Fortran-77 interface must be built in order for the Fortran-90 interface
to work.

I need to know why the configure script determined that the Fortran-77
compiler wouldn't work.  Please send me the files "configure.log" and
"config.log", which are described at

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/INSTALL.html#ReportingProblems

> Best regards,
> Leila