Re: 20041020: netCDF C - linking with libnetcdf.a throws error with string.o (NC_check_ name routine) undefined ref to __ctype_b

>To: address@hidden
>From: "paul tilles" <address@hidden>
>Subject: netCDF C - linking with libnetcdf.a throws error with string.o
>(NC_check_name routine) undefined ref to __ctype_b

Hi Paul,

> Institution: National Weather Service
> Package Version: 3.5.0
> Operating System: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Work Station 3.0
> Hardware Information: dual Pentium III 933 Mhz memory = 1 Gig
> Inquiry: On a Linux box, we are linking with libnetcdf.a and getting the
> error message
>
> undefined reference to __ctype_b in function NC_check_name
>
> We have had other problems related to __ctype_b being undefined when
> linking.  They were solved by recompiling code under the RHEL WS 3.0
> OS.

This is caused by trying to link with a libnetcdf.a library built on a
RedHat 8 system on a RedHat 9 or later system.  We may be contributing
to this problem by continuing to make available older versions of the
library in compiled form, for example the 3.5.0 version from March
2001 for linux_2.2-i686 platforms.

To get around this problem, you will either have to recompile and
install the library from source for your RedHat platform, following
the installation instructions on our web site:

  http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/INSTALL.html

or try installing a later binary distribution, such as the version
3.5.1 netCDF library available in:

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/binary/linux_2.4-i686/netcdf-3.5.1.tar.Z

or use one of the RPMs for netcdf accessible by using "netcdf rpm
redhat 3.5.1" as Google search terms:

  http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=redhat+netcdf+rpm+3.5.1&btnG=Search

If you're a little more adventurous and want the latest beta-test
version that has much improved large file support, documentation,
Windows support, and installation, you could try:

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-beta.tar.gz

with simplified installation instructions at:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/netcdf-4/newdocs/netcdf-install/

--Russ

address@hidden          http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/russ