20040921: netCDF Installation Problems on Fedora Core 2 linux

>From: Paul Higgins <address@hidden>

Paul,

>I'm having problems installing NetCDF on my computer (Linux, Fedora Core
>2).  I had a simlar probelm with the same computer under Redhat 9.0 so I
>tried upgrading to Fedora.  Obviously, that hasn't solved my problems.
>Can you suggest a fix?

Even though you included the list of log files that we request, it
appears that you did not include the STDERR output in your make.log.
Given this, it is difficult to see what error you are getting when
trying to build netCDF 3.5.1.  However, since you note that you had a
problem under RedHat 9, and since you are using the standard compilers
that are distributed with the FC1 release, I am betting that your
problem is that you have not defined all of the Unix environment
variables that are needed _before_ configure is run.

For reference, when using the GNU Fortan compiler, g77 (note that
f77 under FC1 is just a link to g77), you need to define CFLAGS
to include the -Df2cFortran flag.  Here is the set of environment
variables I recommend you try setting before you run configure:

C (gcc), Fortran 77 (g77) and C++ (g++) interfaces when your shell is /bin/bash:

export CC=/usr/bin/c89
export CPPFLAGS=-Df2cFortran
export CFLAGS=-O
export FC=/usr/bin/f77
export FFLAGS=-Wno-globals
export CXX=/usr/bin/c++

C (gcc), Fortran 77 (g77) and C++ (g++) interfaces when your shell is /bin/csh:

setenv CC /usr/bin/c89
setenv CPPFLAGS -Df2cFortran
setenv CFLAGS -O
setenv FC /usr/bin/f77
setenv FFLAGS -Wno-globals
setenv CXX /usr/bin/c++

The procedure you should follow is:

1) run 'make distclean' first (important)

2) define the environment variables as indicated above

3) run 'configure':

./configure

4) run 'make':

make

5) run 'make test':

make test

If my guess is correct, your build will now succeed.  If I am incorrect,
we will need to see a 'make.log' that includes both STDOUT and STDERR
messages.

>Many thanks,

No worries.

>Paul Higgins