Re: 3.6?

>To: address@hidden
>From: Paul Wessel <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20040914: 3.6?

Hi Paul,

> We are about to release GMT 4.0 but I saw from a posting that netCDF
> 3.6 may be out soon.  Can you reveal how soon?

We're a couple of months behind schedule on the 3.6.0 release, as we
keep running into and fixing subtle bugs with the large file support.
The current beta release, netCDF-3.6.0-beta3, is available from:

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-3_6_0-beta3.tar.gz

We are aiming to make the final beta release available by the end of
this week.  Depending on feedback from that, we'll have a 3.6.0
release soon, but I can't anticipate how many problems will be found
with the beta-4, so I don't know how soon.

You might want to try GMT 4.0 with the 3.6.0-beta4, because I'm
looking at that as a release candidate.  We still support the classic
netCDF format transparently and all the same interfaces, we've just
added a new variant of the format with 64-bit offsets for large files.
Existing code should work with no changes and all existing files
should be accessible just as they are now.  There's also much better
Windows support built in and a few bug fixes.

--Russ