Re: 20040910: Mac OS X 10.3.4, NetCDF 3.5.1

>To: address@hidden
>From: "Cara-Lyn Lappen" <address@hidden>
>Subject: General Support - netcdf and absoft ProFortran 9.0

Hi Cara-Lyn,

> I am trying to install netcdf 3.5.1 on my mac running 10.3.4. I
> applied the patch to the cfortran.h file and did a ./configure and a
> make. It seems to work without problems. When I try to do a "make
> test" on it, I get the following errors:
>
> make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/nf_test'
> /Applications/absoft/bin/f90 -o nf_test -w -YEXT_NAMES=LCS -YEXT_SFX=_
> -YCFRL=1  test_get.o test_put.o nf_error.o nf_test.o test_read.o test_write.o
> util.o fortlib.o ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a -IU77
> ld: Undefined symbols:
> _getarg_
> _iargc_
> nf_test.o reference to undefined _getarg_
> nf_test.o reference to undefined _iargc_
> link failed.
> make[2]: *** [nf_test] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/nf_test'
> make[1]: *** [subdir_target] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src'
> make: *** [nf_test/test] Error 2
>
> I have attached the complete output from the make test command.
>
> Any suggestions or advice you could offer would be most welcome. Thanks

I think the "-IU77" on the above line should instead be "-lU77"
(that's an ell, not a one or an uppercase i), so that the linker will
look in the Unix/VMS compatibility libraries and find the getarg and
iargc routines.

So if this is coming from the "FLIBS" environment variable, make sure
its value includes "-lU77" rather than "-IU77".  You should also
delete config.cache and invoke "make clean" before rerunning the
configure script, "make all", "make test", and "make install".

I hope this works.  We don't have an Absoft compiler for our Mac OS X
system, so can't easily test it here.

--Russ