Re: 20040818: Very large netCDF files

>To: address@hidden
>From: "Tom Black" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Very large netCDF files

Hi Tom,

> Here at NCEP we are hitting major roadblock.  We need to generate large
> netCDF files for very large domains as input for our forecast models.
> However in our first attempts we are stopped by that fact that the
> netCDF files which are certainly over 2 gigabytes long are not created
> properly.  I tried installing your beta version of netCDF3.6.0 since it
> was our understanding that the 2Gb limit was no longer an issue with
> that version.  Although the installation appeared to go okay, the same
> problem remains.  When I back off to a smaller integration domain for
> which smaller netCDF files are produced, then there is no problem either
> with 3.5.0 or 3.6.0.  Can you help us with information that will permit
> us to write netCDF files that are well over 2Gb in length?  Thank you
> very much.

Yes, We are *very* interested in the problems you are encountering
with the 3.6.0 beta release.  We have been generating test cases that
work as intended, but we would like to make sure the library works for
realistic cases that may uncover bugs not revealed by our current
tests.

If you could make available an example of code that demonstrates a
problem with accessing large netCDF files that we can reproduce and
debug, we would be very grateful!

--Russ