20040722: netCDF build on Solaris 9

>From: Elizabeth Rourke <address@hidden>

Elizabeth,

>I am currently trying to install netcdf-3.5.1 on a Solaris9 machine but
>it is complaining when trying to compile ncx.c file. I have set the
>CC and FC variables and have used both the compilers /usr/local/bin/gcc
>and also /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc but neither work. If you have had any
>success compiling on a Solaris9 machine please could you let me know and
>also the settings I require

Please send us the output of make when you run into the problem so
we can diagnose your problem.  Instructions for what would be most
useful to us in helping diagnose netCDF build problems can be found
in:

netCDF HomePage
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/index.html

Installation instructions
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/INSTALL.html

Reporting Problems
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/INSTALL.html#ReportingProblems

In particular, please note that it is the STDERR output that we will need
to see, not just STDOUT.

>Thankyou for your assistance

No worries.

>Yours faithfully
>
>Elizabeth Rourke
>Ocean Engineering Division
>Southampton Oceanography Centre
>Empress Docks
>Southampton     SO18 1GN
>UK

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden  Thu Jul 22 09:57:16 2004

Tom,

Thanks for the help. I re-read the instruction, unset the previous
environment and called

make distclean

I then set the following environment variables

CC = /opt/SUNWspro/bin/c89
FC = /opt/SUNWspro/bin/f77
CXX= /opt/SUNWspro/bin/CC
F90 = /opt/SUNWspro/bin/f90

FFLAGS= -O -erroff= -WDECL_LOCAL_NOTUSED
CPPFLAGS = -DNEDEBUG
CFLAGS = -O

Whilst I thought I had done it before, I reset the LD_LIBRARY_PATH =
/opt/SUNWspro/lib

Lo and behold everything compiled and worked !
Cheers for pointing me in the right direction, I just had not read enough of the
install.html (well to the bottom).
Anyway consider this request closed

Regards
Elizabeth