20040712: exporting MeRAF data in netCDF data

>From: "Monica Lovejoy" <address@hidden>

Moinica,

>I have some data in .MRF format. I did a search for this format and it
>seems it is a kind of netCDF data type. How can I export MRF data in
>netCDF format?

Since I am unfamiliar with MeRAF, I also did a Google (tm) search
for information.  What I found was:

http://www.ssesco.com/docs22/mpg/files/intro.htm

  "MeRAF is based on Unidata's netCDF (Network Common Data Form) file
  format. The netCDF format offers network-transparent, cross-platform
  compatibility because it is based on a platform independent
  representation for exchange of data (XDR). Because MeRAF is based on
  netCDF, the binary MeRAF files may be viewed and edited using netCDF
  tools and may be exported to ASCII text if desired."

>Since I am very new in using either format I have no idea if this is a
>trivial question that should be addressed to you or I should put it on
>the user's forum. The end goal is to import the data into a GIS software

Given the SSESCO comments on MeRAF, it seems like you are might be
asking how you can list data from a netCDF file.  The netCDF package
contains an application 'ncdump' that can be used to list data and
meta data out of an netCDF.  'ncdump' is apparently what the SSESCO
comment:

  "... and may be exported to ASCII text if desired"

is referring to.

Is this what you are looking for?

>(ArcView seems to be able to understand netCDF data)

If ArcView understands netCDF data, then the SSESCO comment would seem
to indicate that you should be able to use ArcVIEW directoy on those
files.

>Thank you for your assistance,

No worries.

>Monica