20040617: Installation Problem of netCDF package

Matthew,

>Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 15:27:14 -0400 (EDT)
>From: address@hidden
>To: "Steve Emmerson" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20040611: Installation Problem of netCDF package

> I have set my environment variable 'CPPFLAGS' as 'f2cFortran' and
> tried t= o install it again.  I am still having problems and this
> maybe will help yo= u help me.  I have reattached all of the required
> files from steps 3 throug= h 9.

The file "configure.log" shows a problem:

    checking for top-level source-directory
    /home/macwillm/netcdf-3.5.1/src
    checking for m4 preprocessor
    checking for m4... m4
    checking m4 flags... -B10000
    checking for xlc... no
    checking for c89... c89
    checking C compiler "c89"... failed to compile test program

The reason for the failure can be found in the file "config.log":

    configure:1094: c89 -c -O f2cFortran conftest.c 1>&5
    gcc: f2cFortran: No such file or directory

The "f2cFortran" field in the above should be "-Df2cFortran", instead.

Please try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source-directory.

    2.  Perform steps 3 and 4 described at

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/INSTALL.html#ReportingProblems

    3.  Set the following environment variables as indicated.  How you
        set them will depend on your user-shell.

        Standard shells (e.g., bash, sh)

            export CC=/usr/bin/gcc
            export CPPFLAGS='-DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran'
            export CFLAGS=-O
            export FC=/usr/bin/g77
            export FFLAGS='-O -Wno-globals'
            export CXX=/usr/bin/g++

        csh-like shells (e.g., csh, tcsh)

            setenv CC /usr/bin/gcc
            setenv CPPFLAGS '-DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran'
            setenv CFLAGS -O
            setenv FC /usr/bin/g77
            setenv FFLAGS '-O -Wno-globals'
            setenv CXX /usr/bin/g++

    4.  Perform steps 5 through 9 described at

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/INSTALL.html#ReportingProblems

Regards,
Steve Emmerson