20040602: Unable to comple NetCDF-3.5.1 under Redhat 9.0 with Intel ifort 8.0 compiler

Jeffrey,

> To: address@hidden
> From: address@hidden (Jeffrey A. Proehl)
> Subject: Unable to comple NetCDF-3.5.1 under Redhat 9.0 with Intel ifort 8.0
> compiler

>   I am trying to get netcdf-3.5.1 installed on redhat 9.0 with the =
> Intel ifort 8.0
> compiler.  I've gone through the threads that I see that are =
> relevent (under=20
> reporting problems) and have attached results for A-F at that site.  =
> Ideas?
> Thanks!
>
> FYI: I've also tried (earlier) to install netcdf-3.5.0 from an rpm =
> but get numerous=20
> undefined references to "nf_put_att_text_", "nf_def_vaf_", etc when =
> I try to=20
> compile my code and link to the netcdf library.

Your "configure.log" file indicated a problem:

    creating cache ./config.cache
    checking for top-level source-directory
    /home/jeffp/Computing/Software_SRC/netcdf-3.5.1/src
    checking for m4 preprocessor
    checking for m4... m4
    checking m4 flags... -B10000
    checking C compiler "gcc"... failed to compile test program

The last entry indicates a problem with your compilation environment.
The details can be found in your "config.log" file (which was misnamed
"config"):

    configure:1085: checking C compiler "gcc"
    configure:1094: gcc -c -O -DNDEBUG -DpgiFortran conftest.c 1>&5
    /usr/local/include: Permission denied
    configure: failed program was:
    #line 1087 "configure"
    #include "confdefs.h"

    int main() {

    ; return 0; }

The above should not have occurred and indicates a severe problem
with your compilation environment.  This problem must be fixed before
you can build the netCDF package.  I suggest that you try manually
compiling similar test code in order to discover the underlying problem
and that you contact your system administrator.

Good luck.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson