20040528: Couldn't download netCDF source (cont.)

>From: Amidu Oloso <address@hidden>

Hamid,

>I still can not download. Here is what I am doing:
>
>From the URL http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/, I clicked on
>the link "a compressed tar file". The system then tried to download
>ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf.tar.Z. After a while,
>the system came back with
>"could not open the page
>ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf.tar.Z after trying for 60
>seconds."
>
>I tried to anonymous ftp to ftp.unidata.ucar.edu or unidata.ucar.edu. In
>either case, I am prompted for a password. I gave my email address as the
>password but it was rejected.
>Thanks.

The password for anonymous FTP is your full email address.  Here
is the sequence you should use:

cd <directory where you have write permission>
ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  <user> anonymous
  <pass> address@hidden
  cd pub/netcdf
  binary
  get netcdf.tar.Z
  quit

Follow this by uncompressing the distribution and building it.

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden  Fri May 28 09:21:46 2004

Thanks for your mail. I am suspecting there are firewall issues at my end.
I'll talk to our system folks.
Hamid