20040518: netcdf_3.5.1 on Linux using Intel Fortran compiler

Deanna,

> To: address@hidden
> cc: address@hidden
> From: address@hidden
> Subject: netcdf_3.5.1

> I'm having trouble installing netcdf 3.5.1 on a Linux machine running an
> Intel fortran compiler (version 8.0).
>
> A.  Linux chief.gso.uri.edu 2.4.2-2 #1 Sun Apr 8 20:41:30 EDT 2001 i686
> unkwon.
> B.  3.5.1
>
> When I run make I get the following warnings/errors:
> Warning: ncgentab.c is out-of date with respect to ncgen.y
> Warning: It should be recreated via yacc on an OFS/1 system
> ncfortran.h:27:42: NF_INT_IS_C_...not defined: No such file of directory
> make[2]:*** [fort-attio.o] Error 1
> make[1] *** [subdir_target] Error 2
> make: *** [fortran/all] Error 2
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated.

You appear to have a problem with your development environment.  Your
"configure.log" file shows the following problem:

    checking if Fortran "byte" is C "signed char"... no
    checking if Fortran "byte" is C "short"... no
    checking if Fortran "byte" is C "int"... no
    checking if Fortran "byte" is C "long"... no
    checking if Fortran "integer*2" is C "short"... no
    checking if Fortran "integer*2" is C "int"... no
    checking if Fortran "integer*2" is C "long"... no
    checking if Fortran "integer" is C "int"... no
    checking if Fortran "integer" is C "long"... no
    checking if Fortran "real" is C "float"... no
    checking if Fortran "real" is C "double"... no
    checking if Fortran "doubleprecision" is C "double"... no
    checking if Fortran "doubleprecision" is C "float"... no

The answers to all the above can't be "no".  The reason they are can be
found in your "config.log" file:

    configure:1970: checking if Fortran "byte" is C "short"
    configure:1979: cc -c -DNDEBUG -DpgiFortran -O conftest.c
    configure:1981: /opt/intel_fc_80/bin/ifort -O -mp -cm -w95 -c conftestf.f
    configure:1983: /opt/intel_fc_80/bin/ifort -o conftest -O -mp -cm -w95
conftest
    f.o conftest.o -Vaxlib
    configure:1985: ./conftest
    ./conftest: error while loading shared libraries: libcxa.so.5: cannot open
share
    d object file: No such file or directory

Apparently, the ifort(1) compiler/linker makes use of the shared
runtime library  "libcxa.so.5" -- and this library can't be found
when the resulting executable is executed.

I suggest that you consult the documentation on the ifort(1) compiler/
linker or consult with your system administrator.  It could be that
you need to set an environment variable (e.g., LD_LIBRARY_PATH) so that
it references the directory that contains the missing library.

When you try to rebuild the netCDF package, remember to do a "make
distclean" first.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson