20040514: netCDF cdl for irregular observation values

Hi Stu,

[Are you at Unavco now?]

> To: address@hidden
> From: "Stu Wier" <address@hidden>
> Subject: netCDF Fortran (77 + 90) - any - netCDF cdl for irregular
> observation values

> Institution: unavco
> Package Version: any
> Operating System: any
> Hardware Information: any
> Inquiry: Hiya Rob,
>
> Is there a way to make a netcdf file for holding data from irregularly
> spaced observation values which will include the coordinates latitude,
> longitude and level?  Imagine for example the temperatures from a
> sensor dragged below a ship at sea, and the sensor is moving up and
> down as the ship travels an irregular course.  I searched the archives
> and docs and didn't find it.

Piece of cake.  Just make the unlimited dimension a simple index and
store time, lat, lon, depth, and temperature information as dependent
variables (1-D manifold, 4-D base-spcace).

Would you like an example?

> Cheers
>
> Stu Wier

Regards,