Re: NetCDF

>To: address@hidden
>Subject: Re: 20040410: subject
Hi,

> I downloaded your NetCDF pre-built binaries for
> windows from
> ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/win32/netcdf-3.5.0.win32bin.zip.
>

> I am using Compac Visual FORTRAN Compiler for  FORTRAN
> 77 code under window 2000 environment.
>
> I create a directory c:\netcdf-3.5.0win32bin
>
> And unzip all files with their respective directory. I
> set my environment as following

> C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
> Studio\Common\Tools;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
> Studio\Common\Msdev98\BIN;C:\Program Files\Microsoft
> Visual Studio\DF98\BIN;C:\Program Files\Microsoft
> Visual
> Studio\VC98\BIN;C:\WINNT\system32;C:\WINNT;C:\WINNT\Syst;C:\delft3d\w32\lib;c:\netcdf-3.5.0.win32bin\bin
>
> Inlcude:
> C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
> Studio\DF98\IMSL\INCLUDE;C:\Program Files\Microsoft
> Visual Studio\DF98\INCLUDE;C:\Program Files\Microsoft
> Visual
> Studio\VC98\INCLUDE;c:\netcdf-3.5.0.win32bin\include
>

> Library:
> C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
> Studio\DF98\IMSL\LIB;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
> Studio\DF98\LIB;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
> Studio\VC98\LIB;c:\netcdf-3.5.0.win32bin\lib
>
> The error message I got is- error LNK2001: unresolved
> external symbol.

What was the external symbol that was unresolved?  This error message
typically identifies the name of the symbol that could not be found in
the libraries.

Also, what did your compiler and link commands look like?  Did you
make sure your new Library path was used to tell the compiler where
to find the library?  Did you use the statically-linked library
netcdfs.lib in your library directory, or the dynamic library
netcdf.dll in your path and netcdf.lib in your library directory?  It
may be easier to use netcdfs.lib.

I'm sorry I can't be more help with this, but there's just not enough
information in what you've provided to identify the problem.  I'm not
a Windows user, but we know others have downloaded the Windows binary
file and successfully linked their code with it.

> I also tried to copy the above include files to the
> same directory where other libraries are.
>
> After I failed with prebuilt libraries, Itried to
> combile new binaries. I donwloaded your
> ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/win32/netcdf-3.5.0.win32make.VC6.zip.
> Created c:\netcdf-3.5.0 directory unzipped the file
> from here. Then from c:\netcdf-3.5.0\libsrc I typed
> nmake /f  msoft.mak and I got an error message NMAKE
> fatal error u1083 Â? donÂ?t know how to make Â?attr.m4Â?
>
> I tried to use msofts.mak but the same problem.

You need to first get the original netcdf source distribution, before
you unzip netcdf-3.5.0.win32make.VC6.zip on top of it to add some
extra files.  As the README says:

  1) Get the netcdf source distribution and unpack it somewhere.

which means, for example,

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-3.5.0.ZIP
or
  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-3.5.1.zip

Then,

  2) Copy netcdf-3.5.0.win32make.VC6.zip into the netcdf-3.5.0/src directory,
and
     unzip it from there.

This will add the extra msoft.mak files to various directories in the
source directories.  After that, follow the rest of the directions and
let us know if you encounter more problems.

--Russ

address@hidden          http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/russ