20040414: compiling netcdf libs

>From: Tennessee James Leeuwenburg <address@hidden>

Tennessee,

>I'm looking at compiling the netcdf 3.5.1 libs on my linux pc. The c/c++
>stuff seems to be fine, but it's falling over when it gets to the
>fortran code.
>
>I have the Fujitsu / Lahey f95 compiler, gcc and the intel ifort
>compilers available, but don't seem to be have any luck at all. I don't
>have a pgf90 license at this stage, which seems to be what all the
>scripts are geared towards.
>
>I've attached the relevant output from make... I'm afraid this isn't
>really my best area, so maybe someone can tell me what this error means?

It appears that you may not have defined all the environment varibles
needed before running 'configure'.  In particular, CPPFLAGS needs
to be set according to guidelines in:

Installation instructions
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/index.html

Try setting CPPFLAGS to '-DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran' when using gcc and
g77, and '-DNDEBUG -DpgiFortran' when using gcc and the Intel Fortran
compiler.

netCDF HomePage:
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/index.html

  Frequently Asked Questions
  http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/faq.html

    What does netCDF run on?
    http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/faq.html#platforms

there is a link to 'other environments':
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/other-builds.html

which, in turn, has a link to:

Lahey Fortran 95 version 6 compiler
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/other-builds.html#lahey-f95-v6

The last link has information on what another user set CPPFLAGS for
his Lahey f95 compiler:

"Gareth Williams reports that compiling with a CPPFLAGS environment
variable that includes "-DNAGf90Fortran" works with the Lahey fortran
compiler lf95 (version L6.00a) and netcdf-3.5.1-beta10. Presumably this
will also work with later versions as well."

After you set CPPFLAGS, run:

make distclean
./configure
make

Please let us know if this does not get you going.

>Making `all' in directory /home/tjl/binary_nc/netcdf-3.5.1/src/fortran
>
>make[2]: Entering directory
>`/home/tjl/binary_nc/netcdf-3.5.1/src/fortran'
>c89 -c -O -I../libsrc  -DNDEBUG fort-attio.c
>In file included from ncfortran.h:13,
>                 from fort-attio.c:6:
>cfortran.h:134:3: #error "cfortran.h:  Can't find your environment
>among:    - MIPS cc and f77 2.0. (e.g. Silicon Graphics, DECstations,
>...)         - IBM AIX XL C and FORTRAN Compiler/6000 Version
>01.01.0000.0000         - VAX   VMS CC 3.1 and FORTRAN
>5.4.                                      - Alpha VMS DEC C 1.3 and DEC
>FORTRAN 6.0.
>         - Alpha OSF DEC C and DEC Fortran for OSF/1 AXP Version
>1.2              - Apollo DomainOS 10.2 (sys5.3) with f77 10.7 and cc
>6.7.                - CRAY
>                                                - NEC SX-4
>SUPER-UX                                                      - CONVEX
>              -
>Sun                                                                    -
>PowerStation Fortran with Visual C++                                   -
>HP9000s300/s700/s800 Latest test with: HP-UX A.08.07 A 9000/730        -
>LynxOS: cc or gcc with f2c.                                            -
>VAXUltrix: vcc,cc or gcc with f2c. gcc or cc with f77.
>-            f77 with vcc works; but missing link magic for f77 I/O.
>-            NO fort. None of gcc, cc or vcc generate required names.
>- f2c    : Use
>#define    f2cFortran, or cc -Df2cFortran                 - NAG f90: Use
>#define NAGf90Fortran, or cc -DNAGf90Fortran              - Absoft UNIX
>F77: Use #define AbsoftUNIXFortran
>or cc -DAbsoftUNIXFortran     - Absoft Pro Fortran: Use #define
>AbsoftProFortran     - Portland Group Fortran: Use #define pgiFortran"
>make[2]: *** [fort-attio.o] Error 1

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas