20040325: Attempting to install netcdf 3.5.1 lib on RH Enterprise WS 3.

>From: David Stepaniak <address@hidden>

David,

In looking through the environment variables you had defined before
running the 3.5.1 'configure', I see that you are missing a couple.
Here is the full list of environment variables you should define
taken from the netCDF web pages on Installing the netCDF:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/INSTALL.html

CC=/usr/bin/gcc
CPPFLAGS='-DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran'
CFLAGS=-O
FC=/usr/bin/g77
FFLAGS='-O -Wno-globals'
CXX=/usr/bin/g++

You also need to keep your "null" setting for F90:

F90=""

After defining the full set of environment varibles, you need to
do a 'make distclean', rerun 'configure', and then run make again.

Please let us know if this does not solve your netCDF build problem.

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas

> [...]
>i686 i686 i386
>GNU/Linux
>
>My environmental vars for the build are (using bash):
>
>export CC="/usr/bin/gcc"
>export FC="/usr/bin/g77"
>export F90=""
>export CXX="/usr/bin/g++"
>
>and the log files I've attached are:
>
>VERSION
>macros.make
>configure.log
>config.log
>make.log
>test.log
>
>but no install.log as I'm not ready to install until the errors
>concerning the fortran (77)
>interface are resolved.
>
>Thank you for any assistance you may be able to provide.
>
>David Stepaniak
>
>SEIII SCD/DSS, 303-497-1343, address@hidden

>make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/netcdf-3.5.1/src'
>make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/netcdf-3.5.1/src'
>
>Making `all' in directory /tmp/netcdf-3.5.1/src/fortran
>
>make[2]: Entering directory `/tmp/netcdf-3.5.1/src/fortran'
>/usr/bin/gcc -c -O -I../libsrc  -DNDEBUG fort-attio.c
>In file included from ncfortran.h:13,
>                 from fort-attio.c:6:
>cfortran.h:134:3: #error "cfortran.h:  Can't find your environment among:=
>    - MIPS cc and f77 2.0. (e.g. Silicon Graphics, DECstations, ...)     =
>    - IBM AIX XL C and FORTRAN Compiler/6000 Version 01.01.0000.0000     =
>    - VAX   VMS CC 3.1 and FORTRAN 5.4.                                  =
>    - Alpha VMS DEC C 1.3 and DEC FORTRAN 6.0.                           =
>    - Alpha OSF DEC C and DEC Fortran for OSF/1 AXP Version 1.2          =
>    - Apollo DomainOS 10.2 (sys5.3) with f77 10.7 and cc 6.7.            =
>    - CRAY                                                               =
>    - NEC SX-4 SUPER-UX                                                  =
>    - CONVEX                                                             =
>    - Sun                                                                =
>    - PowerStation Fortran with Visual C++                               =
>    - HP9000s300/s700/s800 Latest test with: HP-UX A.08.07 A 9000/730    =
>    - LynxOS: cc or gcc with f2c.                                        =
>    - VAXUltrix: vcc,cc or gcc with f2c. gcc or cc with f77.             =
>    -            f77 with vcc works; but missing link magic for f77 I/O. =
>    -            NO fort. None of gcc, cc or vcc generate required names.=
>    - f2c    : Use #define    f2cFortran, or cc -Df2cFortran             =
>    - NAG f90: Use #define NAGf90Fortran, or cc -DNAGf90Fortran          =
>    - Absoft UNIX F77: Use #define AbsoftUNIXFortran or cc -DAbsoftUNIXFo=
>rtran     - Absoft Pro Fortran: Use #define AbsoftProFortran     - Portla=
>nd Group Fortran: Use #define pgiFortran"
>make[2]: *** [fort-attio.o] Error 1
>make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/netcdf-3.5.1/src/fortran'
>make[1]: *** [subdir_target] Error 1
>make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/netcdf-3.5.1/src'

Hi Tom,

Thanks very much for your suggestions and pointers to the additional
environmental vars.
Adding what you recommended for CPPFLAGS, CFLAGS, and FFLAGS did the
trick. The
install went very nicely.

Dave Stepaniak

SCD/DSS 303-497-1343 address@hidden