20040309: problem with netCDF installation

Francoise,

> To: address@hidden
> From: Francoise Faure <address@hidden>
> Subject: problem with netCDF installation

> Hello,
> When I run the command : ./configure, I get an error message.
> Please can you help me with this issue.
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Here are the requested informations:
>
> A/ uname -a
> Linux slfpc149 2.4.20-20.9 #1 Mon Aug 18 11:45:58 EDT 2003 i686 i686
> i386 GNU/Linux
>
> B/ VERSION: 3.5.1
>
> C/ macors.make : see attached file
>
> D/ compilers path name:
> C and C++: /usr/bin/gcc
> F77 and F90 : /opt/intel/bin/ifort
>
> E/ and F/ see attached files.

The information you sent is inconsistent.  The file "configure.log"
indicates that the C, C++, Fortran-77, and Fortran-90 compilers are gcc(1),
nothing, ifort(1), and ifort(1), respectively:

    checking C compiler "gcc"... works
    checking how to make dependencies... false
    checking for gcc... gcc
    checking C++ compiler "gcc"... configure: warning: gcc failed on
    standard C++ test program
    configure: warning: Could not find working C++ compiler
    configure: warning: Setting CXX to the empty string
    configure: warning: The C++ interface will not be built
    checking user-defined Fortran-77 compiler "ifort"... works
    checking for Fortran .F compiler...
    checking if Fortran-77 compiler handles *.F files... no
    checking for Fortran preprocessor... gcc -E
    checking user-defined Fortran-90 compiler "ifort"... works

Yet the file "macros.make" indicates that those same compilers are
c89(1), c++, f77(1), and nothing, respectively.

    # Compilation:
    CC          = c89
    CXX         = c++
    FC          = f77
    F90         =

In order to diagnose your problem I must have consistent information.
Please do the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Perform steps 3 through 9 described at

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/INSTALL.html#ReportingProblems

> Francoise Faure
> Swiss Federal Institut for Snow and Avalanches Research
> Flueelastrasse 11
> CH-7260 Davos Dorf
> Switzerland
>
> Email:address@hidden