Re: 20040301: ncview problems

>To: address@hidden
>From: Kathy Fischer <address@hidden>
>Subject: ncview problems

Kathy,

> >So the fact that you get a runtime error running the same ncdump
> >command may mean there is something wrong with your netCDF
> >installation.  Does your ncdump work OK on other valid netCDF files,
> >for example the sample file:
> >
> > ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/sample_data/aR.nc
>
> flagstaff:~/examples>ncdump -c aR.nc
> ncdump: aR.nc: Invalid dimension id or name
>

> Same thing.  Okay, guess I need to start troubleshooting netCDF.
> It's a new install too (we're building a new /usr/local, under
> Solaris 2.7 on our way to upgrading from 2.6 to Solaris 2.8)!
> Are you able to help with that?
>
> Here's the version we're running:
>
> netcdf -> /usr/local/netcdf-3.5.1-beta11-gcc-g77

That should be OK, but if you're going to start from scratch, you
might as well use the newer released 3.5.1, which is available from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf.tar.Z

You could also just use the binary release that's already compiled for
Solaris 2.7, at

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/binary/sunos_5.7-sparc/netcdf-3.5.1.tar.Z

but it was compiled using Sun's c89 and f77, rather than gcc and g77.
But building it for gcc and g77 should work fine on Solaris 2.7 also.
Just follow the installation instructions

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/INSTALL.html

and use whichever Solaris configuration seems appropriate:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/INSTALL.html#solaris

by setting the environment variables before you run the configure
script.

If you have problems with this, just report them to
address@hidden, as described in our Reporting Problems link:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/INSTALL.html#ReportingProblems

--Russ