20040213: installation problem with netCDF

Mohamed,

[Sorry for the late response; I've been out-of-town]

>Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:20:08 +0200
>From: "Mohamed A. Elzeir" <address@hidden>
>To: "Steve Emmerson" <address@hidden>
>Subject: RE: 20040210: installation problem with netCDF

> I noticed that the type command points to sub-directory
> /gad_opt/SUNWspro/bin/ as the one containing the compiler executables
> while in config.log, C-, and C++-compilers are checked in subdirectory
> /opt/SUNWspro/bin/. I do not know how to direct the netCDF program to
> check the compiler in /gad_opt/ instead of just /opt/. the path is:
>
> /usr/openwin/bin /usr/openwin/bin/xview /usr/lang /usr/bin
> /usr/local /usr/local/bin /etc /usr/etc /usr/newsprint/bin
> /leto/pdsoft/bin /leto/pdsoft/NSCPcom /mnt/icod4/splus
> /gad_opt/SUNWspro/bin /jaera_opt/SUNWspro/bin /usr/ucb /usr/ccs/bin
> /leto/pdsoft/Acrobat5/bin /gad_opt/ActivePerl-5.6/bin /opt/hpnp/bin
> /clus_export/doug/RHOME/R-1.6.0/bin /usr/local/pgsql/bin
> /gad_opt/gimp/bin /gad_opt/gtk/bin /newhyd_usr/local/matlab13p1/bin .
> /hera/maz /hera/maz/bin /hera/maz/csh

Hmm...  It seems that the "configure" script's PATH isn't the same as
the PATH of your user-shell.  This is odd and I don't know what could
cause this.

Let's try explicity telling the "configure" script which C and C++
compilers to use. Please try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Perform steps 3 through 5, which are described near the end of
        the file "INSTALL.html".

    3.  Ensure that the following environment variables have the
        indicated values:

            Environment Variable                Value
            --------------------                -----
            CC                                  /gad_opt/SUNWspro/bin/c89
            CXX                                 /gad_opt/SUNWspro/bin/CC

        How this is done depends on your user-shell:

            Standard Shells (e.g., sh, bash, ksh):

                export CC=/gad_opt/SUNWspro/bin/c89

            csh-like Shells (e.g., csh, tcsh):

                setenv CC /gad_opt/SUNWspro/bin/c89

    2.  Perform steps 6 through 9, which are described near the end of
        the file "INSTALL.html".

Please tell me what you discover.

> shall I ask how did you learn this arabic salutation?

My senior year of high school (1968-1969) was spent at the International
College of Beirut, Lebanon because my father managed the Ahmadi refinery
in southern Kuwait (where I also spent a lot of time).

Life is amazing.

If I may ask, what brings a hot-and-dry person like yourself to the land
of overcast, rain, and bagpipes (which, oddly enough, I play)?

Regards,
Steve Emmerson