20040210: installation problem with netCDF

Mohammed,

Salam Alecum (with an apology for the spelling).

> To: <address@hidden>
> From: "Mohamed A. Elzeir" <address@hidden>
> Subject: installation problem with netCDF

> I am trying to install the netcdf software to read netCDF files. I had
> a problem with the C++ compiler during CONFIGURE execution.
> Please find attached the files needed to identify the error:
> 1. file uname.log containing output of command uname -a
> 2. file VERSION from the top-lelvel source directory
> 3. file macros.make created by configure in top-level directory
> 4. file pathname.log containing absolute paths for different compilers.
> I used command "type XXX"
> 5. file configure.log

The "configure.log" file showed this problem with the C compiler:

> checking C compiler "/opt/SUNWspro/bin/c89"... failed to compile test program

The reason for this error was in the file "config.log":

> configure:1085: checking C compiler "/opt/SUNWspro/bin/c89"
> configure:1094: /opt/SUNWspro/bin/c89 -c -O -DNDEBUG conftest.c 1>&5
>
> License Error : Cannot find license file
> (/usr/local/flexlm/licenses/license.dat
> )
>         for Sun WorkShop Compiler C SPARC
>
>         The product has not been installed properly.
>         There are no license files in following path :
>
>                 None
>
> Cannot find license file
>  The license files (or server network addresses) attempted are
>  listed below.  Use LM_LICENSE_FILE to use a different license file,
>  or contact your software provider for a license file.
> Feature:workshop.c.sparc
> Filename:/usr/local/flexlm/licenses/license.dat
> License path:/usr/local/flexlm/licenses/license.dat
> FLEXlm error:-1,359.  System Error: 2    No such file or directory
> c89: acomp failed for conftest.c
> configure: failed program was:
> #line 1087 "configure"
> #include "confdefs.h"
>
> int main() {
>
> ; return 0; }

It appears from the above that your C compiler was not installed correctly.
This must be fixed before it can be used to build the netCDF package.

The same problem also exists for the C++ compiler:

> checking C++ compiler "/opt/SUNWspro/bin/CC"... configure: warning:
> /opt/SUNWspro/bin/CC failed on standard C++ test program

> 6. file config.log from top-level source directory
> Although CONFIGURE was failed, I proceeded with make, make test and
>  make install. Hence, I got files make.log, test.log, and install.log
>  which are zipped into the self-extracting file afterconfig.exe.

[A word of advice, because of the executable file "afterconfig.exe", my
user mail agent thought your email contained a virus and saved it to a
place I inspect only occasionally.  Unless you know the recipient, it's
probably best not to include executable content.]

> I will be ver grateful to recieve your instructions as for how to
> install netcdf.

Fix the C and C++ installations and try again.  Remember to do a "make
distclean" before executing the "configure" script.

Please let me know how it goes.

> Best regards
> Mohamed Elzeir
> Associate Professor, El-Minia University, Egypt.
> Currently: Research Fellow, EUROGEL
> Zoology Department, School of Biological Sciences
> University of Aberdeen,
> Zoology Building, Tillydrone Avenue, Aberdeen, AB24 2TZ, the UK.
> Tel: +44-1224-295349
> fax: +44-1224-295511
> email: address@hidden
> http://www.abdn.ac.uk/~nhy213