20040120: interface module installation - typesizes.mod

Ron,

>Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 20:50:59 +0000
>From: Ron McTaggart-Cowan <address@hidden>
>To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20040115: interface module installation - typesizes.mod

> When I use-associate netcdf.mod in an f90 main, I get a complaint from
> the compiler to the effect that:
>
> PGF90-F-0004-Unable to open MODULE file typesizes.mod (test.f90: 3)
> PGF90/any Linux/x86 5.0-2: compilation aborted
>
> Interestingly, the PGF90 compiled netcdf.mod module has the following
> readable header:
>
> V23 netcdf
> 10 netcdf.f90 S620
> 01/14/2004  18:03:02
> use typesizes private
> enduse
>
> Which seems to explain why it's looking for the typsizes module.  I've
> been able to reproduce this scenario with a set of test routines, and it
> appears that the following will fail with the PG compilers:
>

> in modules.f90::
>
> module foo
> integer i
> end module foo
>
> module modtest
> use foo
> end module modtest
>
> .... compile "pgf90 -c modules.f90"
>
> .... copy modtest.mod but not foo.mod into the include path
>
> .... try to compile a test program
>
> program test
> use modtest
> end program
>
> .... and you get the error:
>
> PGF90-F-0004-Unable to open MODULE file foo.mod (test.f90: 4)
> PGF90/any Linux/x86 5.0-2: compilation aborted
>
> Exactly as for the netcdf.mod and typesizes.mod interdependency.  So the
> netcdf build proceeds fine, since it's including from a directory which
> contains both compiled modules.  However, after the install, we start
> running into the including problem.
>
> AFAIK this isn't normal - both the SGI and Solaris stations that we use
> produce a stand-alone compiled netcdf.mod ...

Interesting.  Apparently (and unlike every other Fortran-90 compiler
we have ever used -- and we've used a bunch) the pgf90 compiler
requires that the "typesizes.mod" file be installed in the "lib/"
installation-directory (I know you know this -- I'm just thinking while
writing).

Our Fortran-90 expert says that this behavior is unspecified by the
Standard (sigh).

I'll modify the installation-procedure to install that file.  It should
be in the next release.

> Thanks,
> ron

Regards,