Re: 20040110: regarding netcdf-please reply

>To: address@hidden
>From: "rajesh manivannan" <address@hidden>
>Subject: regarding netcdf-please reply

Hi Rajesh,

>       I am a engineering student from Delhi,India.I have been assigned a
> project of redesigning the netCDF  C++ interface using OOP concepts and
> template mechanism.Can you provide me with how to start and proceed with the
> project.I will be very much pleased if you could respond.

This would be very useful, since the C++ interface was designed before
templates, exceptions, and namespaces were standardized or widely
available.  It would be most useful to us if you would base your
interface on the version of the C++ interface in netCDF 3.5.1-beta13,
currently available from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-beta.tar.Z

since this has some fixes for C++ problems in older versions.

The ideal C++ interface would mimic the OOP design of the Java version
2 netCDF interface:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf-java/

But that's pretty ambitious.  Nevertheless, the Java design and
implementation, due to John Caron, has proved very useful.

--Russ

address@hidden          http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/russ