20040102: netCDF for VMS (cont.)

>From: address@hidden

Frank,

>Thanks for the information on netCDF for VMS. You state the software should
>work if installed under VMS.

Yes, the reason I noted that was that netCDF been used on VMS for years.

>It seems to me there needs to be a VMS version, or
>if not, an option in the software to tell it what operating system is used,
>so that it can interpret the bits correctly.

netCDF works on big and little endian machines (e.g., Solaris SPARC and
Linux), so the byte ordering on VMS machines should not be an issue.

>I ask this because it is important that I understand in case I try to install
>the software.

Building the netCDF and then running the tests (make test) should only
take a few minutes.  If all goes well there, you could generate a
netCDF file using ncgen and bring it to a different kind of system and
test the file portability.  Again, the netCDF was designed to be
portable among platforms, so you should not run into problems.

>Thanks again.

No worries.

Tom